Thursday, August 16, 2012

Three Sentence Thursdays

Today we start something new here. Every Thursday I shall post the last three sentences I added to my current work in progress. Yes, even if they're utter crap. Now, should the three sentences require some explanation in order to make any sense whatsoever, I may offer a few more sentences or some context.

As it is the inaugural Thursday, however, I shall break my own rules. This week, you shall receive the FIRST three sentences of Sleeping Lady.

Sleeping Lady is a paranormal romance; at least, it will be when it's a bit further along. It takes place in Alaska. And that's all I really know at the moment. I'm flying blindly and by the seat of my pants, letting my characters tell me a story about themselves, so I don't know much yet.

Three sentences:

"She stood gazing at the Sleeping Lady across the water, waiting. Abigail Sutton was always waiting for something. Waiting to take a lunch order, waiting for customers to leave so she could mop the diner's floors, waiting for her little blue Subaru wagon to warm up so she could go home, waiting for the snow to melt... Always waiting."

I have no idea at this point whether or not this will actually be the beginning when this piece of fiction is finished. I do know I like it, and the image of Abby staring at my favorite mountain got me on my ass writing.

Hopefully keeping up with Three Sentence Thursdays will help me keep adding words to my work(s) in progress!
I love feedback in all its many flavors, so let me know what you think! The only things I will not tolerate in my comments are attacks upon my person or the person of another commenter. If you desperately need to attack my person, feel free to send me an email; I might even reply so we can have a jolly little private war.

Happy writing everyone!

Side note:
I'll be dedicating an entire post to this soon, but please head over to The Oatmeal for information on how to help the rest of the Internet prevent the destruction of Nicola Tesla's home and laboratory.

2 comments:

  1. In three sentences you made me curious about Abigail. I often find myself waiting (patiently or not so much) so I "get" that feeling instantly.

    Tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Sounds like my goal of making people want to read more in the first three sentences has been accomplished.

    Now to find the rest of the story and get it all down on paper. Provided I don't get totally absorbed in writing zombies, of course.

    ReplyDelete